The Silver List
A prestigious list of 47 emerging photographers, chosen by hundreds of curators, educators, scholars, and critics.
The Silver List is a prestigious list of 47 emerging photographers.
It was compiled from the recommendations of hundreds of curators, educators, scholars, and critics. We asked them to list up to 10 artists who fit these criteria:
- They love the artist’s work and feel it should be seen more widely
- The artist uses the medium of photography (however they define it)
- The artist is early in their career (however they define it)
- The artist is living
It's gotten some press:
- Dafoe, Taylor. Hollywood Has the ‘Black List’ for Undiscovered Screenplays. Now, Photography Has a ‘Silver List’ for Up-and-Coming Photographers. Artnet News, 15 Feb. 2021.
- Kish, Stacy. Finding the Hidden Gems of the Modern Photography World. Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences, 18 Feb. 2021.
- McMarlin, Shirley. Silver Eye Center for Photography Creates List of Artists Worth Watching. Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 15 Feb. 2021.
- Rich, Katey. Introducing the Inaugural Silver List, Featuring 47 Exciting Contemporary Photographers Whose Work You Just Have to See. Vanity Fair, Feb. 2021.
In addition to identifying and supporting some extraordinary voices, the Silver List is an unprecedented opportunity to look at the diversity of artists and experts. With the demographic information generously provided by our respondents, we are in the process of answering a complex question: how do experts and the artists they recommended compare, and along which dimensions are they similar or different?
I created the inaugural Silver List over 2020 to 2021, in collaboration with Silver Eye Center for Photography and The Black List. Generous guidance and assistance for this project came from Franklin Leonard, founder of The Black List, and Joseph B. Kadane, Leonard J. Savage University Professor of Statistics and Social Sciences Emeritus at Carnegie Mellon University.